Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1)

Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1) - Nina Lane This is such a unique book. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this heartbreaking journey. Arouse centers around a couple, Dean and Liv, who seemingly are the perfect couple. Dean is attentive, smart, sexy, loving, completely committed and supportive. Liv is somewhat damaged and insecure, but she is totally enamored with and trusting of Dean. He is her rock, her safe place, the stabilizing force in her life. They connect on an emotional and sexual level. They are the couple that you strive to be. They seem unbreakable, untouchable. Things aren't always as they seem.

What the author does fabulously is make you buy into the beauty and solidity of the relationship. So when things fall apart, your heart falls right along with it. The plot and story is so simple, straightforward and realistic. Maybe that's what makes this book hit home...it is something that could happen in our own lives. Although there was resolution of sorts at the end, I have to admit to just feeling depressed. I was tempted to only give four stars, but anything less than five would be a lie.

One side note, it has been tagged BDSM, yet there's not a single BDSM moment. Erotic, yes. BDSM, uh, no.